All around Sydney is blooming with beautiful Cherry Blossom trees at the moment, signalling Spring is almost here!
Interesting facts on one of the worlds most loved spring flowers
1. Each tree only blooms for one week of the year while trees lives for 30 to 40 years.
2. There are over 200 varieties of cherry blossom.
3. Picnicking beneath the cherry blossom trees is a Japanese tradition known as "Hanami" which translates to flower viewing.
4. Cherry blossoms are Japans national flower, known by the name "Sakura".
5. The flower petals are edible which you can use in both sweet and savoury dishes.
6. Blossom trees can reach 75 feet in their native habitat!
7. The flower is celebrated as a symbol for the friendship between Japan and the U.S.
8. Bloom predictions are usually only able to be made a month in advance with peak viewing time in Japan during late March, April and early May.
9. Macon, Georgia in the U.S holds the title of "Cherry Blossom Capital of the World" with more than 300,000 trees.
10. Cherry Blossoms are native to the Himalayas.