For enrolments from November 16, 2021
You are enrolling onto the Pearsons Commercial Design Certificate, which is a NON-ACCREDITED COURSE. On successful completion of this course PSF can only issue you with a Non-Accredited certificate.
If circumstantial evidence is provided of a change in Visa status during your classroom component of the course, you may be eligible to transfer your units over to receive the SFL30115 Certificate III in Floristry qualification.
1. Fee Payment
Administration Fee (DEPOSIT): To secure your enrolment you need to pay a $1,500 Administration Fee. This is NON-REFUNDABLE. This administration fee is included in the fees for the course.
The student fee for Pearsons Commercial Design Certificate (PCDC) can be pre-paid in full or by instalments. Payment must be received before a student commences their course.
OPTION ONE: PRE-PAY IN FULL
The balance of your fees is due two weeks prior to course commencement.
OPTION TWO: PAY IN INSTALMENTS
With the pre-authorisation via DIRECT DEBIT the balance due is divided into equal monthly payments. Your FIRST INSTALMENT is due PRIOR to starting your course.
INSTALMENT PAYMENT SCHEDULE
Study program in Months
Deposit (non-refundable) at enrolment - $1,500
$3,000 prior to starting
$3,000 prior to starting
$3.500 final instalment
$1,500 for 6 months
$1,500 for 5 months
$2,000 final instalment
$1,000 for 9 Months
$1,000 for 8 months
$1,500 final instalment
- Instalments are charged on the 1st day of the month.
- Your ﬁrst instalment is due prior to the commencement of your studies. For example: If you begin your course on the 12th of September, your ﬁrst instalment is due on the 1st of September.
- It is up to the student to ensure that sufﬁcient funds are available to cover these charges. If funds are not available an administration fee of $50.00 is payable.
- Discounts – any discounts or exclusive offers that reduce your fees are deducted from the FINAL PAYMENT.
- Before you can be enrolled in this course, PSF must receive your Direct Debit Mandate (if applicable) and your completed Enrolment Form.
What happens if you cannot meet your next INSTALMENT PAYMENT?
- It is up to the student to sure that sufﬁcient funds for the due date.
- If funds are not available in your account and the payment is declined, an administration fee of $50.00 is payable to PSF.
- A student cannot continue to attend classes if that month’s instalment has been declined.
- You can defer your program until the NEXT TERM, re-commencing if payments are up to date.
- You may need to repeat classes – Flower Fees may apply.
- Please note that return to the classroom will be Subject to Availability.
If you have any issue regarding payment, please contact our Accounts Department (02) 9550 7711 prior to the due date.
Additional course costs:
- There are 3 assignments that require you to purchase your flowers. This fee is not included in your student fee. We recommend to budget $50- $80 per assignment, $200 in total. These assignments occur at the end of end of the ‘Hand Tied’, ‘Base Medium’, and ‘Wrap it up’ clusters.
- Missing classes may incur an additional fee. Please refer to section 7, page 3 for more information.
PSF WITHDRAWAL and REFUND POLICY See item # 29
2. Entry Requirements
There are no Entry Requirements for this qualification. However, students must be over 18 years of age to enrol in the course at Pearsons. (See item 10 for Skills required to complete this course).
There are no warrantees expressed or implied relating to the contents or results of attending a Pearsons Floristry course. Pearsons does not guarantee the participants will find employment upon course completion.
4. Duration of the course
Most students complete the course over nine months. However, PSF can tailor the program so you can either fast-track the course or extend it. Your enrolment is valid for a total of two years.
Your timetable for the course includes the following:
- 2-Day REMOTE Induction working from home
- CLASSROOM DAYS – normally scheduled one day per week
- 5 DAYS Floristry work experience
- 3 hours per week study time including assignments.
It is strongly recommended that students practice their floristry designs in their own time. This will enhance the learning experience and increase the ability of the students.
5. Missing a class:
We recommend that you attend all classes as scheduled. However, if this is not possible your options are:
- Planned Absences:
Alternatively, you may book on to a SELF-PACED TUTORIAL or PRIVATE TUITION (see Conditions 7 and 8).
PLEASE NOTE: It is essential to your learning that you attend Week 1 of your Wiring Cluster. If you cannot attend, we recommend you attend a make-up class (if there are any available) or to book on to a PRIVATE TUITION (fees apply – minimum or $225 plus materials – see condition)
- Unplanned Absences: If less than 10 days written notice is given, you MAY be able to attend the same class on another day/month subject to availability.
A place in another class is NOT GUARANTEED but is dependent on schedules and student numbers.
6. Missing or Re-sitting Assessments
To be awarded the PCDC you will need to be deemed COMPETENT in all the subjects that make up the PCDC. If you sit an assessment and are deemed ‘not yet competent’ or you miss an assessment due to absence for any reason, you will be given another opportunity to sit an assessment as follows:
- Attend a class (see “Missing a class condition”)
- Attend a self-paced tutorial (see “Self-paced tutorial condition”)
- Request Private Tuition (at a fee)
What happens if you attempt an Assessment 3 times but are still “Not yet satisfactory”?
You will be required to repeat the whole cluster and full fees for that Cluster will be charged.
Please note: As we are dealing with fresh materials and in order to be fair to all students, these terms and conditions must be strictly adhered to.
7. Self-paced Tutorial Support
All PCDC students can attend four (4) x 3 hour self-paced tutorials sessions throughout their course.
The aim of these sessions is to allow a student to practice their practical floristry skills, sit or re-sit an assessment or meet with a trainer/assessor out of their normal class hours. Each tutorial is three (3) hours long.
- All Students must provide their own materials. Basic sundry items will be available.
- Students can source their materials independently or purchase flowers on the day from the Oxford Street shop or Stanmore at a discounted rate of 25%.
- You MUST ENROL via email, stating what you plan to do. Simply email email@example.com
- These sessions are NOT CLASSROOM LEARNING, but self-paced. Trainer will have a number of students in any session with a variety of needs. They are not able to devote themselves to just one topic. Students who are there for an Assessment will have priority.
- Trainers will only review items that are part of the PCDC curriculum.
Bookings to sessions are subject to availability.
If you wish to attend an extra Self-paced Tutorial, the fee is $65. These extra session are only offered if places are available.
8. Private tuition
If at any time you require one-on-one training you can book a session of Private Tuition. Here a trainer is available to help you with your specific programme needs.
- cost $75 per hour, plus cost of flowers/materials and runs for a minimum of 3 hours
- It is a one-on-one session with a trainer
- AIM: to teach designs from the PCDC curriculum ONLY
- Recommended if you miss WEEK 1 of WIRING
9. Re-sitting classes
You may choose to re-sit a class that you have already completed so you can receive the training in a particular design again. This is subject to space availability in that class. This option is available throughout your 2 year enrolment. The fee structure is as follows:
- If you are currently completing clusters, the fee is $65.
- If you have completed the cluster, have been deemed “competent” in the cluster, and you are still within your 2 years enrolment period, the fee is $100.
To discuss your options contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Skills required to complete PCDC and work in a flower shop.
If you are over 18 you are able to enrol in this course. However, to be able to complete all learning and assessments and work effectively in the flower industry you will need:
- LANGUAGE SKILLS: A sound command of written and oral English (Year 10 equivalent) for effective communication both during your course and in the workplace. For example, providing customer service in a flower shop, understanding client’s needs and quoting for wedding flowers and other events.
- NUMERACY: Year 10 or equivalent numeracy skills so you are able to calculate the value of flowers to be used in a bouquet, prepare a quotation for a client and manage all retail transactions.
- PHYSICAL SKILLS: Studying and working as a florist requires strength, mobility, fine and gross motor skills. Your workday is likely to include unpacking flowers, lifting buckets, flower care and handling, maintaining the store display and standing for extended periods. It will also include making floral arrangements which requires fine motor skills.
- TECHNOLOGY: studying and working require basic computer skills. PSF provide students with access to our STUDENT PORTAL. Here you can find your study schedule, download, and upload assignments and communicate with trainers. PSF may also communicate with students via email or social media. Most florists utilise technology to communicate with their clients and in-store with electronic point of sale.
11. Access to technology
To complete this course, you will need regular access to:
- Students are required to complete a REMOTE INDUCTION program so will need a computer, printer and internet access to start their program.
- A computer to access, complete and upload assignments as well as the Student Portal with internet access
- An Email account
- A smart phone with a digital camera
- A FACEBOOK account so you can join the Pearsons School Of Floristry Student Group (recommended but not compulsory.)
At Pearsons School of Floristry, we endeavour to support students with Special Learning Needs. Any Special Learning Needs or medical conditions/physical impairments must be disclosed to PSF prior to your Enrolment so an assessment can be made as to whether any reasonable adjustments need to be made to your study program.
A meeting will be organised with the student and the School to determine the best way to respond to specific learning needs, and to discuss the suitability of the course for you. This might involve Private Tuition, taking a class more than one time, reading material prior to attending a class, having a support person present in the classroom. These arrangements will be put in place on an individual basis and might incur extra cost to the student. Our aim is to provide a supportive learning environment for all students.
Once you have commenced your program, if it is identified that you require additional support, PSF will contact you to arrange a meeting to discuss your options. Additional fees may apply to cover this support.
Enrolment on to the course does not automatically guarantee that a student will have the skills to complete all elements of the course.
13. Returning documentation for Enrolment
Once you have paid your deposit, you will receive an Enrolment Form by post or email and if you are paying via our instalment plan, you will also receive a direct debit mandate. It is essential that you return these important documents as soon as possible. YOU WILL NOT BE ENROLLED ONTO THE COURSE UNTIL THIS DOCUMENTATION IS RETURNED TO US. You can return a scanned copy of the documents by email or post them back to us.
PLEASE NOTE that NO Certificate will be issued if the enrolment documents are NOT fully completed and received by PSF.
14. Changes to your study program
Students are entitled to change their study program. A minimum of 10 days’ notice IN WRITING is required to facilitate this and acceptance of change will be SUBJECT TO CLASS NUMBERS and AVAILAIBILITY. There is NO GUARANTEE of availability.
15. Course Delivery Changes
Occasionally it may be necessary to cancel classes or transfer students between sites. If PSF changes a course prior to course commencement and a mutually suitable time cannot be found for you, a full refund will be provided, including any deposits. If a class is amalgamated during your course and no mutually suitable time can be found for you, you will be refunded based on the standard refund policy, depending on how you paid, with no admin fee charged.
16. Administration Costs
There are additional costs to re-print and resend documentation that you should be aware of.
- Re-print of PCDC which includes certificate $30.00
- Bounced cheque or declined credit card payment cost $50.00
There are several assignments that need to be completed throughout the course. Their aim is to consolidate and enhance your learning experience. It is especially important that you complete them promptly and by the due date. These assignments form part of the formal assessment of your skills and knowledge.
To complete the assignments, you will need access to a COMPUTER, software applications like WORD, a camera and the INTERNET.
You will be asked to complete floristry tasks at home.
18. Appeals Process
If you do not agree with the outcome of an assessment, here is the process to follow:
- Talk directly with the assessor concerned to resolve the problem. If the matter is not resolved
- Contact the Course Manager. If the matter is not resolved
- Contact the Director.
- If the grievance is still unresolved, the student will be advised of external organisations of appeal
The details of PSF Appeals Policy.
19. Work Experience
A minimum of 38 hours of relevant industry work experience is compulsory to complete the PCDC. This can be done at Pearsons Florist or another Florist business. It’s up to the student to arrange their own work experience.
NOTE: Work experience at other Florist Businesses
PSF encourage students to gain experience in the Florist Industry. To facilitate this we allow florist businesses to advertise unpaid Work Experience Opportunities through our Closed Facebook Group.
PSF are not responsible for Work Health and Safety (WHS) at a third party workplace. Remember that you are not an employee of that company and you will not be covered by their Workers Compensation Insurance. It is possible for you to take out your own personal insurance while you complete the Work Experience. We recommend you discuss this with an Insurance Broker or contact these Work Experience Insurers Directly.
20. Photography and student statements:
Throughout the course, Pearsons will take photos and videos of your work and collect written statements from students. These photographs, videos and statements might be used for promotional material and be posted on the Pearsons School of Floristry website and other social media websites, or used in our marketing campaigns.
You can withdraw your permission by ticking the appropriate section in the Enrolment Form. By not ticking this box, you are giving your permission for Pearsons School of Floristry to use such material.
Students may take pictures of their own work in progress during class but may not take videos or photos of trainers or other students without prior permission.
21. Student only Facebook group - Pearsons School Of Floristry CLOSED GROUP
PSF moderate a closed student only group on FACEBOOK. Our goal is to create a positive space for students to showcase their work and ask questions. We encourage you to check the group regularly, share your stories and ask questions. This is the forum PSF uses to advertise work experience opportunities and other industry events.
22. Written notification of changes:
Pearsons School of Floristry is required by law to keep comprehensive student records. Any changes to a student’s enrolment and study program must be received by the School in writing.
This includes any change of information, such as requests to defer, notification of absence, a request for a makeup class or tutorial, change of course day, course withdrawal, change to contact details.
Any changes to your INSTALLMENT plan such as your Bank or Credit Card details must be communicated to our accounts team prior to your next instalment to avoid any penalties.
A student may have a complaint regarding Pearsons, our trainers or another learner.
If a student has a complaint, they should report it to a member of the school and it will be dealt with promptly and confidentially. Our goal is to respond to all complaints within 10 working days.
The first point of contact should be the trainer. The trainer is usually the best person to talk to. However, if the complaint refers to the trainer, you need to contact the Student Support at the school office. If the complaint is not resolved, it is then escalated to our DIRECTOR Barbara Pollak.
In the rare case that the complaint is not resolved in discussion between the Student and PSF, you can request INDEPENDENT MEDIATION. There will be costs incurred by the student to cover your own costs in the case of THIRD PARTY MEDIATION.
24. Anti-Discrimination Policy and Occupational Health and Safety Policy:
The Anti-Discrimination and WH&S policies must be strictly adhered to as set forth by Australian law. The details of PSF ACCESS AND EQUITY POLICY are available via the student portal.
26. Deferring your course
If you need to defer or delay your studies:
- Please inform the student support officer in writing at least 10 days prior to the commencement of your next cluster.
- PSF will contact you to discuss your plans and a possible plan of action for your return.
- On returning to the course, we will discuss the currency of your skills and design the most suitable learning program.
- If the floristry training package is updated (see item 21) during your deferment you may need to complete additional classes or assessments to receive the current qualification. This MAY incur an additional fee.
- We cannot guarantee that a space will be available in your preferred day of study.
- You must finish your studies within the two year period.
What happens to your fees?
If the course has been PREPAID
- You have two years to complete all clusters so to re-join the course simply contact us to discuss your study program. There will be no additional fees unless you repeat classes, undertake Private tuition session, or your need to transition to a new training package.
- If no refund has been issued, and you would like to complete the course over a longer period of time, additional fees may apply subject to the current course costs at that time. Note: you may be required to repeat some elements of the course if your skills are no longer current or the course structure changes. There will be fees incurred with this.
If you are paying by INSTALMENTS
- If you have paid all your instalments, the conditions for PREPAID will apply. (See above)
- If you need to defer, you can put your instalments “ON HOLD” and restart your payment schedule when you restart your study. However, fees will be re-calculated to the current costing when you restart.
Recommencing your studies
The process of recommencing your studies:
- Contact Student Support to discuss your study options
- When there is a suitable place available, you can re-commence your program.
- PSF will discuss your progression through the course and the best way to return to your studies.
What is the best Learning Experience for you?
If you have DEFERRED at the end of one cluster (for example, you will completed successfully Hand tied but would like to defer Wiring and Base Medium) you can recommence your program where you left off.
However if you have deferred MID-CLUSTER, and had a considerable break from any floristry, it may be best for you to repeat some classes so you feel confident to continue the course. This may be the best learning experience for you. You will only be charged the FLOWER FEE for classes you repeat.
27. Course Abandonment
It will be deemed that you have elected to ABANDON the Course if:
- You do not attend your scheduled classes for three consecutive weeks without notice
- You do not respond to correspondence with the school regarding your studies within four weeks
- You do not complete your assignments or classroom assessments within the two year period
What happens if you are deemed to have abandoned the course?
We will defer your study program until you contact us or your 2 year study period has expired. After the two year period you will automatically be withdrawn from the course.
28. Withdrawal from your course.
You may choose to withdraw from the course at any time. Please provide written notice of your Withdrawal. Within 30 days of your written notice of Withdrawal PSF will provide you with a statement listing the subjects you have completed. You may or may not be due for a Refund of your fees. See
29. REFUND POLICY: Terms and Conditions of a Refund
The $1,500 Administration Fee paid is NON-REFUNDABLE or transferable.
Refunds after the Course Commencement
How much refund will I receive?
The amount depends on:
- The amount you have paid (including any discounts received). See
- the number of clusters you have enrolled in.
- And the WRITTEN notice of WITHDRAWAL from the Course
- To receive a refund for a cluster you MUST provide a minimum of 10 business days’ WRITTEN notice prior to a cluster commencing. No refund will be given after this time, regardless of your circumstances.
Pearsons School of Floristry reserves the right to alter the Terms and Conditions for Enrolment in Pearsons Commercial Design Certificate at any time.
PSF publish the policies that relate to your enrolment on our website: